Pages

4.12.17 -- Monday


The plan for tonight was to meet David Moore from the council's highways department to discuss the street lights near the observatory. This was planned for 5:00pm.
All went well from getting out of my house to getting into the car. It all went wrong from then as the car wouldn't start. It did all sorts of electronic tricks but wouldn't start. Fortunately my next door neighbour was watching and cheering, and offered to take me to the observatory. He did and we met Paul there, who was to pick me up if I fell over. I didn't but realised I'd left the keys in my car, so we couldn't get in. They're always there in the car so I never got down to the dome leaving them at home. It worked for 12 years faultlessly, till tonight when they were still in the car but I'd left the car at home!
Fortunately I'd also emailed Dave of the meeting. He was on the east coast in his van and didn't know I'd emailed him till he got home and found his house overheated having had a powercut while he was away and the automatic heating system had cut out, then restarted on full on when the power came on again giving his house several days of permanently full on heating. He read his emails (in his underwear (?)), and luckily, felt he needed to be at the observatory, so hurried down.
He'd had the forethought to bring his keys so could open up, to Paul's, my neighbour's and my great relief.
At the appointed time David Moore turned up. It transpired he'd been before, with Jim Blaik, some years ago, when Jim got the same street lights changed from the normal, at that time, to flat lights.
The three of us looked at the lights and David took notes of the lights concerned and what could be done, finally suggesting it might take some time to get the screens that Jim Blaik had had fitted for us to be redesigned and extended to suit our needs, but said he'd keep us informed of progress.
I'll have to see how friendly the Green Flag folk are tomorrow.
Brian